The Office of Alumni Engagement is eager to support motivated alumni who desire to form affinity groups. The following guidelines have been set to ensure an appropriate communications process and support from our office. Please review the protocols outlined below. We look forward to working with you!
The following protocols and procedures are required from alumni seeking to organize a formal/recognized alumni affinity group:
- One to two alumni leaders/coordinators must be responsible for the majority of the group’s coordination and program development.
- A Statement of Purpose must be submitted to the Office of Alumni Engagement. The Office of Alumni Engagement approves the concept of creating the group based upon significant, demonstrated/expressed alumni interest and organized group leadership.
- Ideally, potential affinity group members should be able to be identified within the University of La Verne alumni database (i.e. field of work, student activity, interest, etc.).
- Programs sponsored by the affinity group should aim to become financially self-supporting.
The alumni affinity groups should plan to:
- Help the Office of Alumni Engagement update contact lists for the group.
- Plan activities focused on networking, mentorship, and/or philanthropy.
- Create a calendar for the academic year of events/programs.
- Serve as administrators on university approved affinity group Facebook pages/groups.
- Support on-campus initiatives connected to the affinity (e.g., plan networking/mentoring/educational opportunities to connect alumni to students).
- Send periodic electronic communications (i.e. invitations, newsletters, faculty news, etc.) to its alumni constituency as needed.
Once established, the Office of Alumni Engagement will work with affinity group leaders to provide the following support:
- Establish a University of La Verne supported Facebook page/group.
- Establish an affinity group space on Leo Connect.
- Establish a presence on the University of La Verne Office of Alumni Engagement website and have representation on the Alumni Advisory Board.
- Assign a staff liaison to partner with the group.
- Promote group programming in the VOICE Magazine, alumni e-newsletter, social media, and other channels.